Monday, December 21, 2015

Coming Out is a Process

In the next 6 chapters Tyler  talks about some important stuff that make him become who he is and why he is successful. He talks about his years in high school and college participating in musicals and in drama cub.Then Tyler tell us a story about a incident that made him understand that if he wants to be successful he needs to stay on the ground and always be himself. After those chapters he dedicates several chapters for the fact that he is gay and how his family managed that. Apparently his dad was not supportive and he treated the topic as if it was a mental disorder and wanted to fix it this is why Tyler and his dad won't talk. While he explain this problems he had before and after coming out we can see that it is not easy to do this especially for Tyler coming from a extremely religious family, luckily his mom was really understanding and always support him in everything.As I continued to read the book I realised that he is someone that really never thought of being famous and that is why he hasn't changed since he started his Youtube carrier.

My face when His dad didn't accepted Tyler

    
"Finally, a good mom is supportive of you,but the best moms are supportive of your growth. Even when it doesn't seem like they are on your side, great mothers are on the side of you becoming a better person." (Oakley,68 )


      I think the quote is significant because it was said on the chapter in which he understood he has to keep his feet on the ground for him to succeed. It was about his mom being the factor that made him understand this and i love that he recognise that his mom has support him since he started. I just think the quote shows how much love Tyler has for his mom.
     

   "I was so overwhelmed that I only remember snippets of what he said to me, things suggesting that this was my mom and stepdad's fault, how I was doing it for attention, how this was just a phase, how it was a sin, how it was a choice." (Oakley, 87)
          
    I was really sad reading this quote because I can't imagine a dad not accepting his son as what he is. Its incredible how wrong he is saying that its just a phase because it clearly not and i can't imagine how Tyler felt because its his own dad and he is also saying that the fault is of Tyler's mom and his stepdad when they were the ones who support him.

      The book is incredible so far and its so catchy that when I was planning just read 2 chapters I ended up reading 5. My favourite thing about the book it that explains every situation like in a conversation he doesn't really use elaborated words and most of the time he won't use capitalisation nor punctuation rules. Because of this type of writing I think that it makes me feel that I'm connected to the author and that I understand how he feels and thinks. I really liked that he added so much detail about the relationship with his dad and his family handling with him telling he was gay, another interesting thing in the book it that he added how was it coming out to some of his important friends and I liked that he added that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment